[SLUG] January meet date

Jamie Adams whostolemypen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 21:07:47 GMT 2005

> I spent a morning over the holidays installing SUSE 9.2 Pro on my laptop and
> it's good!! John, if you want a version of Linux that just works then give
> SUSE a try. It even detected my Linksys Wireless USB card and installed the
> correct firmware that needs uploading to it each time the modules are loaded.

Hmm. I should have my wireless card arriving in the post in the next
few days so it would be interesting to see if we could get a little
wireless network up and running.

> Before SUSE I gave Fedora Core 3 a try. The desktop looks good and Gnome 2.8
> is very nice but the standard fonts were awful and my USB card was not
> detected. I eventually got frustrated with it and switched to SUSE. On the
> plus side however Redhat seemed to handle power management *much* better than
> SUSE does by default.

I'm using Mandrake 10.1 at the moment. Power management is okay, but
it doesn't shut down the computer properly. Might have to give the new
Suse a try myself.