[SLUG] January meet date

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 21:05:54 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 21:07, Jamie Adams wrote:
> > I spent a morning over the holidays installing SUSE 9.2 Pro on my laptop
> > and it's good!! John, if you want a version of Linux that just works then
> > give SUSE a try. It even detected my Linksys Wireless USB card and
> > installed the correct firmware that needs uploading to it each time the
> > modules are loaded.
>
> Hmm. I should have my wireless card arriving in the post in the next
> few days so it would be interesting to see if we could get a little
> wireless network up and running.

That would be an interesting thing to try out. I was not so surprised that
SUSE detected my card but that fact that it knew the exact model and
installed the correct firmware image did suprise me. First Linux distro to
detect and correctly configure the card out of the box with no extra fiddling
what so ever. I did need to give it my routers SSID and WEP key etc but this
was simply done with a YAST (Yet another setup tool) wizard - no file editing
what-so-ever - which was the whole point of the exercise.

> > Before SUSE I gave Fedora Core 3 a try. The desktop looks good and Gnome
> > 2.8 is very nice but the standard fonts were awful and my USB card was
> > not detected. I eventually got frustrated with it and switched to SUSE.
> > On the plus side however Redhat seemed to handle power management *much*
> > better than SUSE does by default.
>
> I'm using Mandrake 10.1 at the moment. Power management is okay, but
> it doesn't shut down the computer properly. Might have to give the new
> Suse a try myself.

Are you using ACPI or APM. You can try both by passing:

apm=on acpi=off    #To enable apm / disable acpi

OR

apm=off acpi=on   #To enable acpi / disable apm

via lilo or grub parameters. None of my desktop PCs will shut down correctly
if I use ACPI but APM works fine for them all. I think it's because they're
all older machines with non-compliant ACPI bios or have broken ACPI bios.

Cheers,

Paul.