[SLUG] Software patents

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 13:36:18 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm not sure who's seen it yet, but previews of OpenOffice 2 show that
it will look just like Microsoft office. They appear to be using the
same icons; they have moved the drawing bar from the left to the bottom;
they have added a table menu to the writer application.

Might Sun be deliberately posturing themselves for a showdown with
Microsoft? I don't quite understand how they can get away with
apparently 'stealing' Microsoft's interface? - unless I'm missing something?

One article previewing it is:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20293

Steve