[SLUG] Software patents

Jamie Adams whostolemypen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 14:19:55 GMT 2005

> Might Sun be deliberately posturing themselves for a showdown with
> Microsoft? I don't quite understand how they can get away with
> apparently 'stealing' Microsoft's interface? - unless I'm missing something?
>
> One article previewing it is:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20293

I downloaded this release a couple of weeks ago.

I did notice the welcome changes to the interface icons, (which was
desperately needed). but on closer inspection, I don't think that the
interface looks too similar to Microsoft Office. I don't remember the
drawing toolbar being on by default, I think that the user in the
preview has put it here as it's his/her preference.

OpenOffice looks great when installed on Suse. They should take a note
out of their book and merge Suse's icons into the main release in my
opinion.

Still, I might have to download and install it again to double check.