[SLUG] Wireless network card (was January meet date)

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 09:12:14 GMT 2005

Jamie Adams wrote:

> The cardbus port doesn't even notice that I put the card in. No
> messages are posted to syslog and a '/sbin/cardctl ident' brings up
> nothing.

OK fair enough. Silly question then but are your PCMCIA drivers
installed and setup correctly. I know it's stating the obvious but I
don't think you'll get the card to work if the cardbus port is not setup
correctly. Do you have any other cards that you can try in the slot such
as a normal network card? Or temporally borrow one from a friend?

You've probably done this but try typing 'dmesg' and looking for both
the cardbus port and wifi card being detected.

So for me is see:

'Yenta'... for the PCMCIA slots and
'Atmel'... for the WIFI card

Obviously these will be different for you.

You've looked in syslog but have you tried /var/log/messages also? You
some times get dianostic information in here.

> I have tried the madwifi drivers. They compile fine, and I can even
> load the modules but no wireless device is created and the modules
> show that they are not being used with 'lsmod'.

The modules for my WIFI card load even if the device is not present and
also show as unsed with 'lsmod' so there's nothing strange here I don't
think.

> I havn't really had the time to fiddle with it much, but I am pretty
> desperate to get it to work. I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any
> advice, let me know.

Your card does seem to be initially appear to be supported by the
MADWifi drivers but what does the + mean on the end of the model? Is
this some proprietary turbo mode.

The MADWifi drivers are only beta also it seems with quite a lot of
missing or broken functionality such as broken adhoc mode.

I know that most of this has stated the obvious but I hope it helps.

Regards,

Paul.