[SLUG] Wireless network card (was January meet date)

Jamie Adams whostolemypen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 23:00:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:52:48 +0000, Paul Teasdale <pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2005 14:17, Jamie Adams wrote:
> > My wireless card seems to be a complete no-go. I looked it up
> > beforehand and it is supposed to be supported but for some reason
> > Linux just doesn't like it in my particular configuration. Bummer.
> > They are pretty cheap though, i'll buy another when funds allow it.
> >
> Which wireless card are you using? I ask this because it took me a while to
> figure out how to get mine to work and if yours is the same then I may be
> able to help.

The card is an Engenius 802.11 b/g card. There is a sticked on it
saying 'powered by Atheros'. On Windows, it picks up the card as an
AR5001X+.

> One trap I fell straight into was that wireless extensions were not enabled in
> the kernel. After that I had to compile some drivers against the kernel
> source and install the wireless extensions package. And all this just to get
> the machine to recognise the card and get wireless extensions running.

This is something I will look into. I assumed that they would already
be compiled in.

> It took nearly as long to work out what I actually needed to pass to the card
> to get it to work with my wireless access point but did so eventually. I have
> never had it working adhoc with another wireless card but this is because I
> have not tried to be honest. Also to add insult to injury it seems very
> temperamental when I change any of the settings but once you have got it
> going it's fine.

The cardbus port doesn't even notice that I put the card in. No
messages are posted to syslog and a '/sbin/cardctl ident' brings up
nothing.

I have tried the madwifi drivers. They compile fine, and I can even
load the modules but no wireless device is created and the modules
show that they are not being used with 'lsmod'.

> Be persistant with it. If people have claimed to get the card working under
> Linux then it's probably possible.

I havn't really had the time to fiddle with it much, but I am pretty
desperate to get it to work. I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any
advice, let me know.

Cheers