[SLUG] Retro gaming

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 13:17:01 BST 2005

Hi

Briefly, if you haven't bought the Linux Format Retro Gaming issue and
want to try out what we'll be discussing a week on Wednesday (the 3rd)
and perhaps bring along you machine to demonstrate, then either act
fast because the new issue is out (covering debian, our September
subject), or perhaps take a look at this
<http://simon.mooli.org.uk/LXF/>

If you do want to bring a machine along, haven't got the mag, and have
a particular platform in mind let me know and I'll try to summarise
the relevant bit of the article.

Oh, this is what I'm planning to send to the SEN. I'm going to check
whether the pub is a) still available and b) whether there's an 18
years or over limit on pubs .. I don't know what the law is. I presume
we don't want a shedload of kiddies turning up anyway, but then they
probably wouldn't because it's retro, by definition it'll be of
interest to ex-kids.

Anyway, this is my first draft, yell if you see any howlers:

If you miss the old games on your Commodore 64 or ZX Spectrum, Linux
might be able to help. At the next Scarborough Linux User Group (SLUG)
meeting members will be trying out retro games such as 'Attack of the
Mutant Camels' using Linux to emulate old games or arcade machines.

There's a Linux emulator for almost all classic gaming platforms
including the ZX80 and Atari. Linux can be installed in addition to
Microsoft Windows to get the best of both worlds, and most Linux
software is free of charge.

Members will also discuss their first month of self study for the
Linux Professional Institute Junior Level Administration examination
and arrangements for the forthcoming Software Freedom Day (10
September, www.softwarefreedomday.org).

Anyone interested should turn up at The Cricketers on North Marine
Road, at 7:30pm on Wednesday 3 August or visit the SLUG website at
http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/ where they can join the mailing
list and ask any questions they wish.

Linux is an increasingly popular alternative, low cost operating
system for almost all computer systems. Most software that runs on
Linux is called 'free' referring both to its cost, and to the fact
that users are more free to copy and use software and free to improve
it to suit their needs. Many equally capable yet free alternatives to
popular programs are available to run on Linux, for example word
processing, graphics manipulation, music composition and video
editing.

Scarborough Linux User Group meets monthly to discuss Linux news, try
new software, and drink beer.

The September meeting will be on Tuesday the 6th and will discuss the
latest Debian distribution.

refs:

Linux: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux>
SLUG: <http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/>