[SLUG] Digital Scarborough

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon May 16 11:41:37 BST 2005

> Ian Eade wrote:
>
>>All of the above points were fully realised and if another Exhibition
>>stand is organised (irrespective of the event) then this information
>> can
>>be used so as to provide a far stronger and more purposeful stand.
>>
> Definitely all agreed.
>
> I was heartened by the fact that people seemed willing to at least try
> openoffice/firefox... "It's free? - wow!" type of responses were
> common...

The exhibition has lots of potential, certainly.

There's something uncomfortable about saying "it's free" without
giving them the ability to enter the world .. to find other "free"
software, without opening their eyes to why. Otherwise feels like it
panders to the lowest common denominator, and those aren't the people
who will use Linux in the end, they'll just use a ripped off copy of
Windows.

Maybe.

Don't you 'pay' for Linux by becoming part of the movement? In which
case, isn't there something that says people should have at least some
awareness of the difference.