[SLUG] Library display posters

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 21:03:30 GMT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of
john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sent: 09 November 2005 09:34
To: Scarborough Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Library display posters

> Bob said
> I tried to install Helvetica.  I had no problems discovering how to
> install,
> but when I tried to find a site to download from,  I found plenty that
> wanted
> lots of money, but no free downloads.  Do you know of a site?

I don't, but I'm just wondering if it could be as simple as me sending
you a file, but a quick look around doesn't suggest it's so. Does
anyone know where fonts are stored and whether this might be possible
in theory?

Cheers

==================================
You can get a Cabinet extractor and get the font from Microsoft's XP
cabinets. There are a few Linux apps which do this and install the font
etc but Linux is fussy (proper?) about fonts and just throwing a .tff
file into a directory and rebooting may give you some surprises.

If you use KDE it has an inbuilt font viewer which is handy and using
this you can get all the meta information about a font and see if it a
decent quality font and whether or not Linux will like it. If the font
is good check the X11 font paths to see where the fonts are located and
put it in there then X11 should find it.

Finally, Scribus will use .ttf font files locally, as in you create a
directory somewhere, give the path to Scribus and it will use the font
(with a high success rate). The benefit being that the font is localised
to Scribus and completely hidden from the rest of the system. This means
you can throw lots of fonts at Scribus and find out what works without
risking your entire Linux system.

Ian