[SLUG] Library display, to do list

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 10:25:50 GMT 2005

Hi ppl

The display is to go up a week tomorrow.

The to-do list is as follows (there are currently tasks for JA, BG,
AG, & SoN but we need more users to send in their profile, and someone
needs to sort out the OpenCDs):

JA: Buy velcro

JA: Get main and side signs designed and printed: Scarborough Linux
User Group - Free your computer

JA: Create central motivational poster and get printed

JA: Create the Linux challenge (wrapped box, questionnaires)

Create A4 trifold leaflets (write, print, fold, deliver) and online
versions (with inline references, email to Stephen O Neill):
 - JA: "Linux for the small business"
 - JA: "Linux for artists/multimedia"
 - BG: "Saving money with Linux / a working computer for under £100"
 - BG: "Linux in education"
 - JA: "Free as in freedom - the ethics of free software"
 - BG: "Getting started with Linux"

JA: Create 6 trifold pockets

JA, AG, SoN: (and anyone else) to send to JA a screenshot of their
distribution, a 100 word summary of what they use Linux for and a
mugshot (oh yes, we want to show ourselves as human), JA to format and
print out

BG: Bowl of business-card sized pieces of paper or smaller along with
a "please take one" sign (as if they were sweets) which just contain
the message that all this information is on our website and giving our
website address

SoN: Our website address across the whole thing will be a variant on
our normal address, eg. http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/lib so we
can see how many people came to visit: create this page, including
HTML versions of documents.

BG: Produce a bowl, a 'please take one' sign, and 'business cards').
JA will produce graphic guidelines, BG will produce.

??: Open CD production: volunteer needed.

For those who want it, the detailed summary of where we are follows,
otherwise, stop reading, start doing (that's a note to myself more
than anything :-) ):

Dates and format:
-----------------

Bob has booked a library display from Tuesday November 29th to Sunday
December 11th. The photographs here
<http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/slug/> (files starting imgp*) show a
three panel display, but we can have 6 freestanding boards (400mm x
600mm), possibly a header (200mm x 400mm) for the middle board and a
small table in front. We need to use velcro to attach our notices.

JA will buy some velcro (he has the £8 and Boyes is just down the road)

Our at-a-glance message:
------------------------

We need to deliver our message at a glance both front-on and as seen
from the entrance doorway. We wanted something that might work for all
our markets and so far we have these suggestions (and votes):

Scarborough Linux User Group - Free/Open Source Software for everyone	2
Scarborough Linux User Group - Free Software for everyone	2
Scarborough Linux User Group - Free your computer	1

No-one seemed to have any comments on the above other than what's
already been said and that leaves us in a stalemate situation. I think
I'm going to take a punt and go for 'Free your computer', because for
the library audience, it pre-selects people, it cuts out those who
haven't got a computer. The word 'everyone' might work in our circles,
but there will be plenty of library goers who wouldn't be able to
handle Linux.

JA will create a headline for the main panel and the side panel.

Display content:
----------------

The way the display is currently looking, we have essentially three
sides plus the back of one panel which faces the entrance (which will
just display our at-a-glance message).

The central panel will show our at-a-glance message at the top, and
then a main motivational poster, A3 or A2, which we'll get
commercially 'printed' and people will put in a £1 or so each to fund
that. Here, we'll answer the questions what is Linux, why does it
matter, and what can it do for you.

Responsible: JA

Underneath that will be a wrapped box with a 'letterbox' opening, and
a questionnaire. This is the Linux challenge. The idea is that someone
who is interested in Linux and wants to know more about what might be
suitable for them can complete a form about their needs (what they
want to do with their computer) and we'll collaboratively work out a
recommendation for them and respond by email in due course.

Resonsible: JA

The left hand panel will contain pockets with trifold leaflets about
various aspects of Linux, for instance, 'choosing a distribution', or
'Linux for school and study'. Here are the subjects we've decided on,
along with the person responsible for producing them (and the votes
they got)

Suggestions:
"Linux for the small business"	2	JA
"Linux for artists/multimedia"	2	JA
"Saving money with Linux / a working computer for under £100"	2	BG
"Linux in education"					3	BG
"Free as in freedom - the ethics of free software"		2	JA
"Getting started with Linux"	1	BG

These will be in A4 trifold format (making a document that's 210mm
high and 99mm wide) for print, with footnote references, and a version
is required for online use with inline hotlinks. Only six trifolds
will comfortably fit on our left hand panel (two rows of three).

A volunteer who used to watch Blue Peter is required to make up
pockets that will contain and display these and that will velcro to
the panel.

Responsible: JA

The right hand panel (and I'm expanding a little on Al's thought) will
have a series of screenshots of our Linux machines together with a
paragraph about each of us (and a photo if you want). The idea is to
show Linux looking good and to show how we are real people not just
screenburned geeks. How many people are willing/able to produce an A5
like this about themselves, we need five at least?

John Allsopp
Al Girling
Stephen O'Neill

Responsible for producing the format for this: JA

We should have a bowl of business-card sized pieces of paper or
smaller along with a "please take one" sign (as if they were sweets)
which just contain the message that all this information is on our
website and giving our website address. Our website address across the
whole thing will be a variant on our normal address, eg.
http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/lib so we can see how many people
came to visit, we should say "you can check us out now using the
library computers"

A volunteer is required to produce this (the bowl, the sign, the bits
of paper). JA will produce graphic guidelines. BG has volunteered for
this.

The possible library computer link to our site looks unlikely.

We might also provide some coverdiscs for people to take away. My
feeling is we'd be better to provide something like Knoppix or the
Open CD. Opinions? How do we get, say, 100 copies? Do we need some
text to go with it or does it say enough on the disc?

Opinions?
AL: Personally, I'd go with the OpenCD.  It would look better if they
were
properly printed too rather than having hand written labels.