[SLUG] Re: Re: Re:Library summary v2.0

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 11:17:17 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 12:15, scarborough-request at mailman.lug.org.uk
wrote:

> The display is to go up a week tomorrow.

Don't get excited.  It's a fortnight tomorrow.

> The to-do list is as follows (there are currently tasks for JA, BG,
> AG, & SoN but we need more users to send in their profile, and someone
> needs to sort out the OpenCDs):
>
> JA: Buy velcro
>
> JA: Get main and side signs designed and printed: Scarborough Linux
> User Group - Free your computer
>
> JA: Create central motivational poster and get printed
>
> JA: Create the Linux challenge (wrapped box, questionnaires)
>
> Create A4 trifold leaflets (write, print, fold, deliver) and online
> versions (with inline references, email to Stephen O Neill):
>  - JA: "Linux for the small business"
>  - JA: "Linux for artists/multimedia"
>  - BG: "Saving money with Linux / a working computer for under £100"
>  - BG: "Linux in education"
>  - JA: "Free as in freedom - the ethics of free software"
>  - BG: "Getting started with Linux"
OK, but I am turning "Saving money with Linux / a working computer for under
£100" and "Getting started with Linux" into "The £100 computer", parts 1 and
2 and putting some stuff about distros into part 2.

> JA: Create 6 trifold pockets
>
> JA, AG, SoN: (and anyone else) to send to JA a screenshot of their
> distribution, a 100 word summary of what they use Linux for and a
> mugshot (oh yes, we want to show ourselves as human), JA to format and
> print out

Can I beg off this. Here is the text for an A5 poster that you can fill up the
space with.  It would be a thank you for our hosts, and I can't resist the
message.

"                                                       Callimachus
Historical note: Callimachus (c. 305-240 BC) was the second Chief Librarian at
the Great Library in Alexandria. A poet born in Africa, in Cyrene (today's
Libya), and who taught in Eleusina near Athens, he served for 30 years as the
chief librarian of the famous library in Alexandria. He is said to have
written over 800 books. One of the best known is Pinakes, a catalogue of all
the works in the library. Thus, he became the first literary criticist. Some
of his poems have survived, and they are typically short and beautiful.
Pronunciation: ka lima kas ('a' as in about, 'i' as in pit, emphasis on the
'm')

The Callimachus Group
...exists to promote interaction between Open Source Library software
projects.  This is from their website: ".  The standards behind cataloging
and interlibrary circulation are not simple, and as a group we do our best to
pool this knowledge and effort, and the efforts to design around the unique
environment of a library -- especially since libraries normally select an
application for the long haul, for both user and budget issues. The
collaboration among group members also helps spread the word to libraries
currently unaware of the possibilities of open source applications, with
activities like grant authoring assistance, and shared conference coverage."

They are at:  http://www.callimachus.org/

"Walk on the path where the carriages do not journey, do not drive in the
tracks of others, do not travel the broad way, but on a road of your own,
even though it be a narrow one" "

> BG: Bowl of business-card sized pieces of paper or smaller along with
> a "please take one" sign (as if they were sweets) which just contain
> the message that all this information is on our website and giving our
> website address

BG: I will go to Norman's and find some thin card/heavy paper to do the
business cards on, double sided.  Do we know anyone with a guillotine?
Preferably near the centre of town.

Bob