[SLUG] Re: Re: Re:Library summary v2.0

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 10:34:35 GMT 2005

> On Monday 14 November 2005 12:15,
> scarborough-request at mailman.lug.org.uk
> wrote:
>
>> The display is to go up a week tomorrow.
>
> Don't get excited.  It's a fortnight tomorrow.

OOoh yes! Bugger, I was really hoping to get this put to bed. I may
still aim for my week-early deadline for my bits just so I can get
some work done.

>> The to-do list is as follows (there are currently tasks for JA, BG,
>> AG, & SoN but we need more users to send in their profile, and
>> someone
>> needs to sort out the OpenCDs):
>>
>> JA: Buy velcro

Did that. £2 for a metre from Boyes

> [...]
>>  - BG: "Getting started with Linux"
> OK, but I am turning "Saving money with Linux / a working computer for
> under
> £100" and "Getting started with Linux" into "The £100 computer", parts
> 1 and
> 2 and putting some stuff about distros into part 2.
>

>> JA: Create 6 trifold pockets
>>
>> JA, AG, SoN: (and anyone else) to send to JA a screenshot of their
>> distribution, a 100 word summary of what they use Linux for and a
>> mugshot (oh yes, we want to show ourselves as human), JA to format
>> and
>> print out
>
> Can I beg off this. Here is the text for an A5 poster that you can
> fill up the
> space with.  It would be a thank you for our hosts, and I can't resist
> the
> message.
>
> "                                                       Callimachus
> Historical note: Callimachus (c. 305-240 BC) was the second Chief
> Librarian at
> the Great Library in Alexandria. A poet born in Africa, in Cyrene
> (today's
> Libya), and who taught in Eleusina near Athens, he served for 30 years
> as the
> chief librarian of the famous library in Alexandria. He is said to
> have
> written over 800 books. One of the best known is Pinakes, a catalogue
> of all
> the works in the library. Thus, he became the first literary
> criticist. Some
> of his poems have survived, and they are typically short and
> beautiful.
> Pronunciation: ka lima kas ('a' as in about, 'i' as in pit, emphasis
> on the
> 'm')
>
> The Callimachus Group
> ...exists to promote interaction between Open Source Library software
> projects.  This is from their website: ".  The standards behind
> cataloging
> and interlibrary circulation are not simple, and as a group we do our
> best to
> pool this knowledge and effort, and the efforts to design around the
> unique
> environment of a library -- especially since libraries normally select
> an
> application for the long haul, for both user and budget issues. The
> collaboration among group members also helps spread the word to
> libraries
> currently unaware of the possibilities of open source applications,
> with
> activities like grant authoring assistance, and shared conference
> coverage."
>
> They are at:  http://www.callimachus.org/
>
> "Walk on the path where the carriages do not journey, do not drive in
> the
> tracks of others, do not travel the broad way, but on a road of your

By all means create it, that right hand board does look like it may
have some space.

>> BG: Bowl of business-card sized pieces of paper or smaller along
>> with
>> a "please take one" sign (as if they were sweets) which just contain
>> the message that all this information is on our website and giving
>> our
>> website address
>
> BG: I will go to Norman's and find some thin card/heavy paper to do
> the
> business cards on, double sided.  Do we know anyone with a guillotine?

I've a Guillotine and loads of card, but I'll need the guillotine too
so when you're ready to use it, yell and I can meet you in town with
it.