[SLUG] Poster idea, input requested

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 12:56:57 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:58:46AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> RMS is obviously in my head atm that's true. But in over a year of
> reading Linux Format and hanging around this world, the paragraph or
> two in that book about selling 'freedom' not 'capability' are the only
> words I've read on how we should be presenting Linux to the wider
> world.
>
> I'm not just following that blindly either, it makes sense to me ..
> see later.

While I agree whole heartedly that the freedom of software is of vital
importance I'm not convinced it will attract many people.  As so many
people are happy to use illegal copies of MS Office, Dreamweaver,
Photoshop etc, appealing to a higher set of morals is likely to proof
less than successful!

> Mentally alert and curious people are perfect for us. Cheapskates are
> perfect for us. Mentally alert cheapskates, now there's our market!

Spot on!  Couldn't agree more.

> > They are irritated because the bloody thing crashes, does weird
> > things,
>
> OK, here I agree with you, but I disagree that Linux offers any help.
> Having just installed FC4 with the latest OO on a new machine, the OO
> that came on the distribution disc is quite the flakiest piece of
> software I've seen in probably a decade. Linux is no protection
> against crashes. Sure, Linux may not crash, but the applications can
> do.

Apart from last Saturday where I saw FC on a laptop (at a distance) I've
not used it.  You strike me as being very disappointed with your whole
Linux experience John.  If your system is as unstable as your comment
suggest I can only say I admire your persistence.  I do however think it
may be time for you to look at another distribution.  Looking back to
when I used Mandrake I have to say it was better (but not a lot) than
Windows for stability.  Whether it was me, Mandrake or my machine or a
combination of the three I can't say, but changing to Debian provided me
with stability unheard of in the Windows world.

> As for doing wierd things, for anyone used to Windows, Linux will do
> some very strange things indeed.

Trouble is those things tend to be Linux doing exactly what you asked it
to do, you're just issuing the wrong commands. ;)

> I'm trying to create something that will grab people's attention as
> they walk past it, so big writing, a graphic, whatever. I think that
> would blend in with the rest of the stand which is all very texty.

Is there any reason why a simple sign saying Scarborough Linux User
Group find out more about Free/Open Source Software wouldn't work?
Put some colourful graphics behind as necessary.  I must say these
suggestions so far remind me of adverts on telly which when finished Ali
and I look at each other and say "What was that about then?"

> And I am stuck on the point .. that Linux is fast and reliable is
> disputable. Maybe Linux works well in a benchmark, but in the real
> world most people will have to spend months getting to know how it
> works.

Now you're starting to sound like a mole from the local Microsoft Users
group.  ;)  Sniggers to self, that works surprisingly well 'MUGs' he he!

> But anyway, what is not in dispute is the principle that it's free,
> and since everyone likes freedom (particularly mentally active
> cheapskates), that still seems to me to be a good hook to bring people
> in on.

I think it should be included, but don't use that alone to get
attention.

> What I don't like about my poster is it gives the impression of being
> about some curious cult religion, but no-one seems to have mentioned
> that so maybe it's just me.

In my original message I'd put my immediate impression was 'Run away.
God botherer alert!' ;)  I showed Ali the picture last night and her
first question was "you're not turning into some religious nuts are
you?".  I took it out though as I thought it might have been just my
interpretation.

> Watch out for my next idea :-)

I've just seen it.  Better, but I still think it's going in the wrong
direction.

I think I've said enough now.  You know that I'd prefer something simple
and straight forward.  Who we are.  What we do.  Dadaa!

Al Girling

GPG: key ID 0xB3394ECE
Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>