[SLUG] Poster idea, input requested

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 13:27:30 GMT 2005

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:58:46AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
>> RMS is obviously in my head atm that's true. But in over a year of
>> reading Linux Format and hanging around this world, the paragraph or
>> two in that book about selling 'freedom' not 'capability' are the
>> only
>> words I've read on how we should be presenting Linux to the wider
>> world.
>>
>> I'm not just following that blindly either, it makes sense to me ..
>> see later.
>
> While I agree whole heartedly that the freedom of software is of vital
> importance I'm not convinced it will attract many people.  As so many
> people are happy to use illegal copies of MS Office, Dreamweaver,
> Photoshop etc, appealing to a higher set of morals is likely to proof
> less than successful!

Ah, that's interesting. I used to use ripped off software throughout
but I hated it. But, I couldn't afford the real thing. I'd have moved
from ripped off software to 'free' if it was available at the time not
because it saved me money, but because it released me from the feeling
I was doing something wrong.

That's interesting too. If so many people are using ripped off
software, 'free as in beer' isn't persuasive. To them, software is
free anyway.

>> Mentally alert and curious people are perfect for us. Cheapskates
>> are
>> perfect for us. Mentally alert cheapskates, now there's our market!
>
> Spot on!  Couldn't agree more.

LOL

Hmmm, new poster idea "Are you a mentally alert cheapskate? Welcome :-)"

>> > They are irritated because the bloody thing crashes, does weird
>> > things,
>>
>> OK, here I agree with you, but I disagree that Linux offers any
>> help.
>> Having just installed FC4 with the latest OO on a new machine, the
>> OO
>> that came on the distribution disc is quite the flakiest piece of
>> software I've seen in probably a decade. Linux is no protection
>> against crashes. Sure, Linux may not crash, but the applications can
>> do.
>
> Apart from last Saturday where I saw FC on a laptop (at a distance)
> I've
> not used it.  You strike me as being very disappointed with your whole
> Linux experience John.

I'm not, I just have unreasonably high standards in these things.
That's the truth. Actually, I love using Linux, I'd certainly never go
back

> If your system is as unstable as your comment
> suggest I can only say I admire your persistence.

I haven't really used FC4 yet day-to-day, I'm just making the point
from recent experience that stability issues don't just affect
Windows. Actually in my world they don't affect Windows .. my XP
machine works fine.

>  I do however think
> it
> may be time for you to look at another distribution.  Looking back to
> when I used Mandrake I have to say it was better (but not a lot) than
> Windows for stability.  Whether it was me, Mandrake or my machine or a
> combination of the three I can't say, but changing to Debian provided
> me
> with stability unheard of in the Windows world.

Yes, Debian's going to be installed on another machine, I'm looking
forward to it.

>> As for doing wierd things, for anyone used to Windows, Linux will do
>> some very strange things indeed.
>
> Trouble is those things tend to be Linux doing exactly what you asked
> it to do, you're just issuing the wrong commands. ;)

:-)

>> I'm trying to create something that will grab people's attention as
>> they walk past it, so big writing, a graphic, whatever. I think that
>> would blend in with the rest of the stand which is all very texty.
>
> Is there any reason why a simple sign saying Scarborough Linux User
> Group find out more about Free/Open Source Software wouldn't work?
> Put some colourful graphics behind as necessary.  I must say these
> suggestions so far remind me of adverts on telly which when finished
> Ali
> and I look at each other and say "What was that about then?"

:-)

Well, above this poster it will say: Scarborough Linux User Group,
Free your computer

The way I see it, this posters role is to provide a head of steam, the
motivation, to look further into it. In order to do that in just one
glance, it has to reach something that the person believes in deeply.
Their wallet is one possibility, but I think I'm convinced that people
use ripped off software anyway, so price isn't a persuader.

If we can take the high ground, then we can say "it's free as in
freedom, and free as in beer too", "it's free as in freedom, and it's
faster", "it's free as in freedom, and it's more robust". The high
ground is what matters, it's what's left after all the bickering.

It reminds me of a pub argument about motorbikes or football teams or
Windows vs Linux. Two people advocating their solutions. And the truth
is, each had found the right solution for them and neither is wrong.
But if you say "Linux is free, as in freedom", it's a higher order
argument. It's undeniable, and it reaches deep into everything
humanity stands for. The only thing that would top that is "Bill Gates
is the son of God".

I know it's not immediate, but here's another analogy. I think making
the move to Linux is traumatic. Sure, installation may not be, but
you've got all your data to transfer, you've got to learn a whole new
operating system, anon. It's like walking up a very long, very steep
hill. You've got to have the real desire to reach the top.

Only a high-order reason is going to make you persevere. Only real
conviction that this is right is going to make you reach the top.

What I'm saying is, we might get more interest if we said "free as in
beer", but none of those would actually convert. If we say "free as in
freedom", it's my belief that that's powerful enough to get one or two
to the top of the hill.

>> And I am stuck on the point .. that Linux is fast and reliable is
>> disputable. Maybe Linux works well in a benchmark, but in the real
>> world most people will have to spend months getting to know how it
>> works.
>
> Now you're starting to sound like a mole from the local Microsoft
> Users
> group.  ;)  Sniggers to self, that works surprisingly well 'MUGs' he
> he!

LOL

>> But anyway, what is not in dispute is the principle that it's free,
>> and since everyone likes freedom (particularly mentally active
>> cheapskates), that still seems to me to be a good hook to bring
>> people
>> in on.
>
> I think it should be included, but don't use that alone to get
> attention.

What about this. Poster two, but with an asterisc at the end of
'freedom', and underneath in (much) smaller letters, * and capability,
and speed, and robustness, and security ......... (a long list of
things we think Linux is better at)

>> What I don't like about my poster is it gives the impression of
>> being
>> about some curious cult religion, but no-one seems to have mentioned
>> that so maybe it's just me.
>
> In my original message I'd put my immediate impression was 'Run away.
> God botherer alert!' ;)  I showed Ali the picture last night and her
> first question was "you're not turning into some religious nuts are
> you?".  I took it out though as I thought it might have been just my
> interpretation.

:-)

>> Watch out for my next idea :-)
>
> I've just seen it.  Better, but I still think it's going in the wrong
> direction.
>
> I think I've said enough now.  You know that I'd prefer something
> simple
> and straight forward.  Who we are.  What we do.  Dadaa!

OK, let's see what others think and if I'm booed off stage I'll accept
that :-)

Thanks for your input anyways. Maybe poster3, with the asterisc, is
the way to do it.