[SLUG] Re: Poster idea.

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 23:18:24 GMT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Bob Garrood
Sent: 16 November 2005 14:52
To: Scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: [SLUG] Re: Poster idea.

Hi John

I like the look of the poster.

The background is effective and eye-catching.  It suggests expanding
horizons,
which is good.  I think the text is too emotional and risks
disillusionment
when people try Linux.

You asked for suggestions, so here is  alternative text.

"Which choice helps planet Earth and benefits you?

Choosing  Linux helps slow down the rate at which the planet is being
littered
with old computers full of toxic components.  Most of the third  world
uses
Linux and we need to communicate with them.

Choosing  Linux means you need to work a little harder.  You have to
learn
more, but it costs you less, and you get access to world wide web full
of
Open Source software."

Just idle materialist ideas,

Bob

Sorry but I cannot see how:

"Choosing  Linux helps slow down the rate at which the planet is being
littered with old computers full of toxic components."

Is this along the lines of Linux lasts longer and as such fewer parts
will fail and be disregarded? Much like saying that if we all drove
hybrid cars world pollution would lessen, in reality a like-for-like
diesel car will beat a hybrid in all respects.

Surely this is outweighed by the fact that Linux users have a terrible
junk food diet, drive poorly maintained cars, drink too much, stay up
all night burning electricity and generally abusing the resources of
mother earth as best as possible in their pursuit of coding nirvana.

Ian

Ps
I cycle to work, only eat grass and my Linux box is powered by a
vegetarian hamster