[SLUG] Poster3, input requested

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 13:35:43 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 10:55:27AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> OK, here's poster 3, taking into account the various comments
> <http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/slug/poster3.jpg>.

--%<--

> Personally, I think the problem I was trying to avoid has happened. I
> wanted something that looked people in the eyes and challenged them.
> What we have now is something that looks nice and the headline
> challenge is completely ignorable. Maybe it'll work better by being
> attractive. Maybe it's not my/our place to challenge people while
> they're trying to borrow a book. The challenge is more my style tho
> :-) I'm still proud of it and I'm willing to go with it, so let's see
> what your thoughts are.

I don't know John, it still doesn't seem right.  I still have this huge
problem with pushing the Stallman Freedom thing.  I keep thinking that
for those looking from a F/OSS Linux viewpoint it works, but to a Joe
six pack it's pretty irrelevant.  To me what you're doing is marketing a
Ferrari produced in a factory employing only disabled people who are
guaranteed huge pensions and using that as your sales pitch.  It may be
ethically brilliant, but Jeremy Clarkson will only care how fast the car
goes.

Something I've been doing is over-looking how the poster will fit with
the rest of the display, but even when I try to imagine the full thing
from the view point of your average computer user.  It still doesn't
grab me.

I've spent some time this morning trying to piece some ideas together
and these are my thoughts.

To start we need to imagine the stand with it's three sections a bowl in
the front with business cards with contact details and a pile of The
OpenCDs next to it.  On the left panel are the six pockets with the
trifold leaflets.  A pocket each for Education, Artists/Multimedia, £100
computer, Small business, Free as in Freedom and  Getting Started.  On
the right panel is a selection of A5 posters displaying personal
profiles, screenshots and mugshot of SLUG regulars.  At the top of the
centre section is the Scarborough Linux User Group poster and beneath
this the A3 poster.  I'll now try to describe my idea for this poster.

For the background use the cloud image from the first poster suggestion,
or something like an antarctic scene of penguins on an ice flow in bright
sunshine with blue sky.  (Trying to symbolise clean and fresh with broad
horizons.)  A title of "What Linux can do for you" beneath which are two
columns of three. (If you follow) Using the titles for each of the
leaflets, write a couple of lines to introduce each subject.  So we'd
get:

Linux in Education
Cut costs and promote a better way of thinking for future generations.

Linux for Artists/multimedia
Work with rock solid or cutting edge software, the choice is yours.

Save money
You can have a secure system for everyday needs for £100.

Small Business
Reduce downtime, No virii, Open standards.

Free as in Freedom
Free as in speech, Free as in beer. Which is more important to you?  With
Linux you get both!

Getting Started
As simple as taking a CD from the pile in front of you.

Now these are just my thoughts, it needs someone who achieved better
than grade 2 CSE in English to sort grammar etc, but I think you'll get
the idea.  Lets face it, A3 is a big piece of paper.  I doubt this will
look too fussy.  Also if the layout of the pockets matches the layout on
the poster so much the better.

I hope the message is save money/better system with an underlying
'there's more to this than just cash' kind of thing.

Oh yeah! stick a small Tux in somewhere too and the copy right thing.

Thoughts?

Al Girling

GPG: key ID 0xB3394ECE
Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>