[SLUG] Poster3, input requested

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 12:40:25 GMT 2005

> Hi John,
>
> I think the first thing I should say is that in no way have you
> offended
> me by sticking to your guns and going with the freedom route for the
> poster.  I offered my views and opinions to broaden the discussion and
> hopefully pull more people into the debate.  I think that the display
> will have at least a couple of improvements as a result, which is all
> positive.

Groovy, thank-you

> I'd be quite interested to continue the discussion but I'm sure your
> time is as short as mine, so we could maybe pick it up another time?

It would be interesting to gather some evidence from others who are
charged with marketing Linux (rather than other geeks :-) )

> Something I do feel needs addressing though is the trouble you seem to
> be enduring with your Linux installation.  While I'd not claim that
> Linux is perfect it's far more stable than your comments on your
> system
> would suggest.  I still think there must be something fundamentally
> flawed with your installation for it to be so unstable.

I'm starting to think (see most recent posting and most recent
comments on <http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/distributions.php4> where
I've noted Linux Format gave Fedora 4/10, that it's Fedora.

The instability is limited to OO2, the rest of the system seems OK,
but I haven't managed to use it yet.

I did also spend three hours (count em) trying to get one box to talk
to the other yesterday afternoon. I tried to get NFS set up but it
simply wouldn't, so I've reverted to trying to learn the first part of
the LPI thing that deals with it (xinetd with FTP I think).

I know someone argued that Windows networking is just as difficult,
but I think they were arguing about installing at a corporate, large
system level.

Windows setup of a file share across a network would have taken 10
minutes and not just because I already know how to do it, but also
because it's simple.

This for an OS that's supposed to be built with intrinsic awareness of
networks.

My reason for raising problem points are usually not that I'm having
difficulty, that will I'll readily put down to my lack of knowledge,
but that I'm at least halfway to knowing what I'm doing on Linux and I
still haven't a clue what to do half the time .. what chance does a
noobie stand? So I play devils advocate and play up the problem,
because a noobie would just fall over at this point and re-install
Windows.

Maybe I really, really need to try a different distribution (and I
will, Debian is next, once I got this file transfer thing to work).

Anyway, you've got me off again :-)