[SLUG] Long downloads

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 24 14:54:01 GMT 2005

Hi Martin

To do really long downloads you need to allow for loss of internet connection.
Most dial-up connections log you off after 2 hours routinely.  To get round
this you need a download manager.  Sun do a really good one.  If you go to
their site you can download Linux and Windows versions for nowt.  With this
you can pause the download, log off the internet, redial and resume
downloading. It will also (usually) cope with unexpected disconnections  I
have downloaded OOo2 (102MB) like this in about 6 hours.  Note that
connections vary.  With Knoppix I could never get much above 1Kbs.  Using the
newer KDE 3.4 on Slackware, and something called Tiscali accelerator on ME  I
can get 5Kbs.  I don't know about auto-redialers.

Do try
if only for the title.

Bob