[SLUG] Library display, a gathering and a push forward

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 12:08:54 BST 2005

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>people will put in a £1 or so each to fund
>that.

Okey dokey.

>Underneath that will be a wrapped box with a 'letterbox' opening, and
>a questionnaire. This is the Linux challenge. The idea is that someone
>who is interested in Linux and wants to know more about what might be
>suitable for them can complete a form about their needs (what they
>want to do with their computer) and we'll collaboratively work out a
>recommendation for them and respond by email in due course. JA is
>prepared to organise this.

Yep, I like it. Also - given the IT suite is constantly packed so I
think we need an online one on scarborough.lug.org.uk - perhaps little
business card side cut-outs with our web address?

Also... is there any way that we can push ourselves to the people who
use the IT suite? Might IT let us put an icon on everyone's desktop that
links to our homepage for the 2 weeks?

>The left hand panel will contain pockets with A5 or trifold leaflets
>about various aspects of Linux, for instance, 'choosing a
>distribution', or 'Linux for school and study'. What subjects need to
>be covered here? Let's decide subjects then share out the writing of
>them.

Ok, we'll have to get a list going. I'm happy to help with leaflets - or
at least the text of one if someone else can make it look beautiful?

>The right hand panel (and I'm expanding a little on Al's thought) will
>have a series of screenshots of our Linux machines together with a
>paragraph about each of us (and a photo if you want). The idea is to
>show Linux looking good and to show how we are real people not just
>screenburned geeks. How many people are willing/able to produce an A5
>like this about themselves, we need five at least?

I'm game for that... not sure on the photo though - we don't want to
scare them off ;)

>Somewhere we should have something, whether it's a small 'card' or a
>strip of tear-offs so people can take our contact details. Our website
>address across the whole thing will be a variant on our normal
>address, eg. http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/lib so we can see how
>many people came to visit.

I should have read the whole thing before starting to reply shouldn't I?

>Can we install Linux for people?
>
>Steve's the only person who has put his hand up as feeling capable of
>doing this, although JA will probably feel capable of that soon.

I think we need a list of caveats, namely being that some hardware may
not be compatible and that we'd need to see a list of 'required',
'preferable' and 'optional' hardware that they wanted to use so that we
could assess it? As for feeling confident enough to install, I feel less
confident given that noone else did. I should clarify that I feel
confident of getting a GUI installer, recent, distro going on a
semi-modern machine. However draw the line at saying I can get anything
running.

>We find problems with installing at the person's home and with asking
>them to bring their machine to one of our houses or to a meeting. Our
>best bet seems to be an installfest style event at a venue which has
>an Internet connection, the favourite being Scalby school.

My favourite too.

>Ideally, those wanting an install should prepare by backing up their
>system and providing us with details of their hardware,

You got me again.

>There seems to be a consensus that we choose a distro that will suit
>most people and get used to installing it and offer only that. We need
>to choose a distribution and then our installers need to do at least a
>trial installation. Who wants to recommend what? Let's have this
>discussion and decide, since this is probably on the critical path.

I vote FC4. Having tried FC2, FC3, FC4 and Suse I feel that FC is more
user-friendly and has a better chance of supporting hardware. I don't
have experience of any other distros unfortunately.

Cheers for the summary John - it enabled me to join in again as I was a
bit swamped!

I also have a number of coverdisc DVDs/CDs which I don't see why
couldn't just be left on the desk for people to take. They're all within
the last 12 months or so, they should be ok for those that just want to
play - provided we offer the usual disclaimer :P

Steve O