[SLUG] Library display, a gathering and a push forward

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 13:48:11 BST 2005

John Allsopp wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> I've just spent a couple of hours wading through our discussions in
> order to summarise where we are (lots of great ideas) and to highlight
> what we need to do next.
>
> Here's the result, take a look, and contribute answers where you can.
>
> Cheers
>
> The SLUG library display
> ========================
>
> Dates and format:
> -----------------
>
> Bob has booked a library display from Tuesday November 29th to Sunday
> December 11th. The photographs here
> <http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/slug/> (files starting imgp*) show a
> three panel display, but we can have 6 freestanding boards (400mm x
> 600mm), possibly a header (200mm x 400mm) for the middle board and a
> small table in front. We need to use velcro to attach our notices.

OK.

> Our at-a-glance message:
> ------------------------
>
> We need to deliver our message at a glance both front-on and as seen
> from the entrance doorway. We wanted something that might work for all
> our markets and so far this is the text:
>
> Scarborough Linux User Group - Free/Open Source Software for everyone
>
> Any improvement comments?

Again OK, but John's removal of Open Source would grab peoples attention
more.

> Display content:
> ----------------
>
> The way the display is currently looking, we have essentially three
> sides plus the backside facing the entrance (which will just display
> our at-a-glance message).
>
> The central panel will show our at-a-glance message at the top, and
> then a main motivational poster, A3 or A2, which we'll get
> commercially 'printed' and people will put in a £1 or so each to fund
> that. Here, we'll answer the questions what is Linux, why does it
> matter, and what can it do for you.
>
> Underneath that will be a wrapped box with a 'letterbox' opening, and
> a questionnaire. This is the Linux challenge. The idea is that someone
> who is interested in Linux and wants to know more about what might be
> suitable for them can complete a form about their needs (what they
> want to do with their computer) and we'll collaboratively work out a
> recommendation for them and respond by email in due course. JA is
> prepared to organise this.
>
> The left hand panel will contain pockets with A5 or trifold leaflets
> about various aspects of Linux, for instance, 'choosing a
> distribution', or 'Linux for school and study'. What subjects need to
> be covered here? Let's decide subjects then share out the writing of
> them.
>
> The right hand panel (and I'm expanding a little on Al's thought) will
> have a series of screenshots of our Linux machines together with a
> paragraph about each of us (and a photo if you want). The idea is to
> show Linux looking good and to show how we are real people not just
> screenburned geeks. How many people are willing/able to produce an A5
> like this about themselves, we need five at least?

I'm willing to have a stab at this.  What exactly are you looking for
here?  A screenshot, a mug-shot and a paragraph about myself?  Do you
want length of time as a *nix user, what I use it for etc?  Could you
give a list then we can follow a format.

> Somewhere we should have something, whether it's a small 'card' or a
> strip of tear-offs so people can take our contact details. Our website
> address across the whole thing will be a variant on our normal
> address, eg. http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/lib so we can see how
> many people came to visit.

I like Steve's idea of an icon on the library machines linking to our
website if that's possible.  I'd prefer a business card to tear off
strips myself.  A bit more professional looking to me.

> SLUG graphic design standards:
> ------------------------------
>
> In an effort to show a unified display, JA is suggesting we come up
> with a set of design standards, which would mean every document we
> produce looks like it comes from the same organisation, and the
> display as a whole looks good. JA will attempt to carve out some time
> to look at this

Can this follow the style of the website?  Might be nice to have an
immediate connection from the stand to our existing layout.

> Handling the resulting enquiries:
> ---------------------------------
>
> Can we install Linux for people?
>
> Steve's the only person who has put his hand up as feeling capable of
> doing this, although JA will probably feel capable of that soon.

As the the display is booked for the end of November it might be of
value to attend the YLUG install-fest due for the 12th Nov this year.
See:
http://www.york.lug.org.uk/installday2005/
http://www.tuxx.homelinux.org/ylug/cgi-bin/view/Main/YLUGInstallDay05
for more details.

> We find problems with installing at the person's home and with asking
> them to bring their machine to one of our houses or to a meeting. Our
> best bet seems to be an installfest style event at a venue which has
> an Internet connection, the favourite being Scalby school.
>
> Ideally, those wanting an install should prepare by backing up their
> system and providing us with details of their hardware, so a sheet
> explaining that and telling them how to get the information we need is
> required. We can then prepare ahead of time, ideally letting them know
> if anything they have is likely to pose a difficulty (eg. scanners,
> sound cards). This suggests we would be able to book people into their
> own hour-long (or whatever) slots.
>
> We also need an easy to understand liability waver for them to sign.
>
> There seems to be a consensus that we choose a distro that will suit
> most people and get used to installing it and offer only that. We need
> to choose a distribution and then our installers need to do at least a
> trial installation. Who wants to recommend what? Let's have this
> discussion and decide, since this is probably on the critical path.

It's a shame we can't have one of these:

http://www.freedomtoaster.org/

Next year, eh!

Back in the real world, having The OpenCD as a handout might be
suitable.  I've just burnt one myself and was surprised to see it is
also a Ubuntu Live CD.  I must say I rather like BeatrIX for it's
simplicity too.  At the end of the day though a distro for installing
has got to be down to the person installing.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

GPG: key ID 0xD826BCE9
Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>