[SLUG] Library display

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 11:49:35 BST 2005

Hi

John's outline for the library looks ok to me.

Here are 3 possible subjects:

1.  Linux in education.  I like KDE material and I could do this.  I thought
of "Klass work out of class", but I can probably find a better title.

2.  How to find a suitable second user machine for less that £100.  This would
be tricky to do without appearing to recommend  particular suppliers.

3.  Why XML and OpenDocument are important.  One for someone who can find 10
subtle and different ways of saying "because M******** are b*******s" without
using the "M" word.

Why not develop them as .odt files (Opendocument text)?  Koffice 1.4.1 and
OpenOffice2 are available.  This we could tell the local press about it.

I can install Slackware 10.2.  I don't know FC4.  Slackware installs in about
an hour and is traditional enough to work on most computers. It has a manual
and only needs 32M. It runs KDE 3.4 and looks brilliant.  I have installed it
on a 64M machine. I think Knoppix, Beatrix and Ubuntu have problems as
installs.   One issue is with partitioning.  Are we willing to try a dual
boot install with Windows?

The Library did say that we can man the stall.  Would this be a good idea for,
say 10 - 12 on a Saturday morning?

Bob