[SLUG] Library display, a gathering and a push forward

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 09:30:19 BST 2005

> Ian Eade said:
> I'll put my hand up for installing something on whatever is presented,

<snip>

> So the more generic the donor computer the trickier the distribution
> can
> be installed, basically aim for FC 4, Mandrake 9/10 etc for cutting
> edge
> computers and Debian etc for more genric computers. A newcomer won't
> notice the differences in distributions but will notice a failed
> install/lost data etc.

Interesting. This raises the middle possibility of knowing perhaps two
distributions rather than my "choose the distribution to suit the
punter" versus "one size fits all". This is "choose the distribution
to suit the punter from our (very) shortlist of 'supported'
distributions".

Obviously it doesn't have the efficiency benefits of knowing just one
distribution, but perhaps Ian could know one and Steve the other and
installs allocated accordingly.

Views?

> When I get my act together I will attend a meeting, probably the next
> one but commuting to Northallerton tends to sap your desire to go out
> on a night.

FYI, the room in which we meet at the Valley Bar is a no-smoking room.
The bar downstairs, however, is foggy as hell. Just so you know the
conditions of our room use.

Cheers