[SLUG] Webcam?

Chris More chris at staxton.com
Fri Sep 2 09:29:28 BST 2005

On Friday 02 Sep 2005 7:30 am, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> Has anyone set up a webcam? At a distance from your computer?
>
> I want to set up a webcam as a CCTV camera (inside the house, looking
> out) and wondered a) if was easy to connect to Linux, b) if it was
> cheap, and c) how I could monitor its output without disrupting my
> work-screen too badly. I've a network, but it's wired. I'd consider
> setting up wireless, and there's a mains socket near where I want to
> site the camera if that's required.
>
> Any thoughts/experiences?
>
> At this point I don't need to record the output, just display it, but
> recording might be interesting later.

Tried to get a creative webcam to work sometime ago, but gave up.   The
drivers available at the time did not support the particular chip my webcam
had.   It is virtualy impossible to find out which chip a webcam uses without
opening the packaging and I didn't feel like buying webcam after webcam just
to find one that linux supported.

The smartest option looks to be the webcam servers which just plug into your
network (or wireless versions).   Bit expensive still though.