[SLUG] Webcam?

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 14:34:02 BST 2005

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>Hi ppl
>
>Has anyone set up a webcam? At a distance from your computer?
>
>I want to set up a webcam as a CCTV camera (inside the house, looking
>out) and wondered a) if was easy to connect to Linux, b) if it was
>cheap, and c) how I could monitor its output without disrupting my
>work-screen too badly. I've a network, but it's wired. I'd consider
>setting up wireless, and there's a mains socket near where I want to
>site the camera if that's required.
>
>Any thoughts/experiences?
>
>At this point I don't need to record the output, just display it, but
>recording might be interesting later.

No experience with webcams and Linux (some with webcams and Windows -
distance is presumably gained with a longer bit of wire), but fair
experience with wireless networks (some with Linux).  However, purpose
of e-mail is to suggest use of ndiswrapper.  I'm using a Netgear WG121
USB wireless adapter on a linuxbox, making do with Windows drivers
encapsulated in ndiswrapper.  Question: would webcam work with Windows
drivers adapted for  Linux through ndiswrapper?
Martin