[SLUG] dmesg

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 08:27:04 BST 2005

Hi y'all

I'm just working through the LPI notes Martin's sent me, and he seems
to have discovered his IRQ settings using dmesg | grep irq

I've never got dmesg to work satisfactorily. If I run dmesg, as root
or otherwise, I get:

c in the drive
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
etc.

I mean, it's nice they use the British spelling for disc, but apart
from that ...

Why doesn't my dmesg work? Or is it correct that those are the last
messages in which case, don't I have a bigger problem? Any ideas?