[SLUG] multiple booting

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 30 14:45:31 BST 2005

Hi

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>What do you think my chances of getting Windows XP to boot with Red
>Hat 7 and the latest from Debian, Fedora, with Agnula too?

I just installed Slackware 10.2 to dual boot with ME.  It works fine, and I've
been dual booting for 3 years now.

Slackware say Grub is dodgey, and use LILO.  I did lose the ability to boot a
partition once using Grub, but that was probably me.

If you install to a machine that already has Windows, you can resize the
Windows partition (after defragmenting) with GNU Parted or Presizer.  You can
fit the program for Parted (best) onto 2 floppies.

This time I created 4 partitions for Slackware:

SWAP - 800M  (Rule of Thumb SWAP + RAM should be about 1G).  Of course the
same swap is used by all Linux partitions.

/  - 4G  This is where Slackware 10.2 goes.  The idea is that when 10.3, or
whatever appears this the bit that changes.

/usr/local -3G  This is where you put other installs, not in Slackware, eg
OpenOffice 2 when it comes, and it survives an update.

/home  -3G.  There is a really good reason why I need 3G for private files,
but I have forgotten it.

I've tried, but never achieved 3 or more systems at once.  The secret is
probably in learning LILO or Grub properly.

Good Luck

Bob