[SLUG] Bristol and Council tax

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 16:39:53 BST 2006

Mike Bennett wrote:
> Just a couple of links (some others get filtered by my school's stupid
> proxy system (and they force us to use IE *shudder*).

My job is developing web based software for schools... when I had my
interview for the job I mentioned about open source encroaching in
schools and my soon to be bosses just laughed at me. Basically it's not
happening, at all - it's windows all the way.

Whenever you hear of schools and IT in the news it will invariably
feature "software supplied by Microsoft" it seems.

To be fair on schools they need to follow their suppliers on what to use
- after all, they're there to teach not master IT... if IT businesses
are wholly dependent upon MS then it shouldn't be surprising that
schools are.

But then there's the chicken and the egg - because MS are so strong in
schools it's only ever going to be a minority who know enough to
challenge their domination when the leave school.

/soap_box

Steve O