[SLUG] Re:Re:Bristol and Council tax

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 11:26:14 BST 2006

Hi

Thanks for all the comments.  Especially Mike,  and I would love to include
all sorts of links, but this letter is too long for most editors already.
I've been rewriting to make it shorter, but it ended up longer.

Apologies for not making last night.

Martin, I can read SBC's website with Konqueror, but it looks a mess.

Here is the slightly altered text which I plan to send tomorrow:

Tel 01723 361938
Top Flat
14 The Crescent
Scarborough
N Yorks
YO11 2PW
4th April 2006
The Editor
Scarborough Evening News

Sir

Council tax payers in Scarborough who pay by direct debit will now have become
aware that their bank balances have just been reduced at the new increased
rate.

There is good news for council tax payers.  Councils can save money on
computer software.  Bristol Council is moving from Microsoft Office
applications (word processors, databases, spreadsheets and other common
administration tasks), to software that uses open standards, and have
produced a report estimating that over the next 5 years this will reduce
their IT costs from £1.7 million to £650,000.

Details of Bristol council's  policy and a link to their analysis of costs are
on: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6953189127.html .

Open Document Format makes these savings possible by using a published open
standard,. Any developer can implement it, competition is possible and this
ensures lower prices.  Commercial developers, including IBM and Sun, open
source developers, such as OpenOffice.org and KOffice, have already produced
widely used office suites based on this format

If you want to look at a free version of this software that works with Windows
you can download it (as OpenOffice.org) from: www.openoffice.org/   ,or
contact Scarborough's Linux user Group on:   scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk.

Open standards improve local democracy.   If councils use open standards, then
we can all read and write to all electronic local government documents.
Scarborough Borough Council and North Yorkshire County Council should let us
know their policy on Open Document Format now.

Yours sincerely
Bob Garrood    e-mail  bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Martin Webb                martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Mike Bennett                mikeyben at gmail.com