[SLUG] Wiki [Was:We can't see how, yet]

Mike Bennett mikeyben at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 17:22:36 BST 2006

The CruxZine wiki was doing fine until we put ourselves on the
MediaWiki: List of Sites that User MediaWiki page.

Then we started getting hit with spambots ervy few hours, just adding
a load of spam links in a hidden div tag.

Problem was solved by making pages publicly viewable, but only
writeable to registered users. We still have the odd spammer, but very
very rarely (2 in about a month) and so reverting the pages is really
easy.

Changing the config to make it read-only was simple. One thing I would
like to see is the ability to force a registration-confirmation so
that you have to supply a valid email address but apart from that, I'm
very happy with MediaWiki, having previously used TikiWiki I find
MediaWiki much better (although this is a personal preference I
suppose),

Setup was easy. Untar and then run an install.php script which walks
you through config settings.

Hope this is useful,
Mike