[SLUG] SUSE installation sound problems

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 09:14:35 BST 2006

Hi ppl

OK, the reputation of Linux is on the line here (not to mention mine
too). I went around to fix the final (?) problem on Lucy's machine
last night .. sound.

Previously, you may remember, SUSE 10 had failed to recognise the
sound on the ASROCK 939NF4 motherboard so we thought we'd put in a
Soundblaster card and that would sort it.

Not so fast. I bought a Soundblaster Live 24 bit SB0410 from
wossisface near TKMaxx, put that in, and got system sounds .. bootup,
etc. However, when playing a CD I'm getting, most often, a half-second
toggle between the song and silence. For those old enough to remember,
it sounds like the Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club.

I've disabled (and enabled, but currently disabled) the motherboard
sound in the BIOS, and I've moved the analog audio cable from going
from the DVD drive to the motherboard to going to the soundcard.

The speakers I'm using are Logitec X-530s.

Frankly, I'm a bit stumped so I'm looking for my best next move. I'm
thinking I'll work on SUSE for a bit but if it's not playing, I'll go
for another distro (Ubuntu, maybe even Mepis sounds like it aims to
work  "out of the box").

If any of you remember the early LPI stuff about isapnp, SUSE has it
so I'm half tempted to see if that would help .. but the card seems to
be recognised and installed fine .. mind-you, I did just go for the
fast/automatic setup.

Whaddyathink?

BTW, Lucy is lurking on this list, so hello.