[SLUG] SUSE installation sound problems

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 17:00:15 BST 2006

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> No, not yet. I did look around it for an mp3, I'll have another go.

Can you re-explain the intermittent symptoms - do I understand it right
that you get a half second of sound followed by a second of silence etc?

Does the silence replace that half second of expected sound? Or is it as
though paused for a half second and then restarted?

This does sound like a buffering problem if you have some sound at
all... You're using SUSE, are you using KDE or gnome?

What sort of options are you presented with in Yast for configuring
sound? I seem to recall that it has a 'play test sound' button - does
it, and what does that do?

In Amarok (a KDE music player) there is an options menu for choosing
your output module and doing some configuration stuff relating to how
Amarok uses it - perhaps play in there too.

You say you're using Gstreamer... that's what I'd use, I notice you
didn't have Alsa in the list... perhaps that's not used nowadays, but I
thought that was still around - either way, try any other output modules
you have.

I think that's it for ideas for now - bon courage!

Steve O