[SLUG] SUSE installation sound problems

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 09:39:45 BST 2006

Thanks Steve

Before I answer your questions, I just noticed that the DVD drive is
connected to the sound card (I did that, it was connected to the
motherboard) by an analogue cable. So I'm asking the DVD drive to do
the DAC work, whereas I'd say I'd be better off asking the soundcard
to do that, so I'm going to look into that.

Gnome

Yast, under Hardware, has Sound which recognises the SB0410 SBLive 24
bit card (previously it didn't recognise the on-board sound so I had
nothing to play with).

I have add, edit, delete and other. Under other there's the sequencer
and volume, so I've knocked off the sequencer (apparently that's for
Midi), and under volume I have:

Master volume:
Analog Centre FE, 0
Analog Front 98
Test, which provides a nice bit of orchestra.

Then there are other channels:

Analog rear
Analog side
Capture feedback inl
SPDIF Centre LFE
SPDIF Front
SPDIF Rear
SPDIF Unknown

The centre one's set to 78, the rest 0. I've played with these
settings and nothing except analog front seemed to make any difference

I have seen mention of Alsa in the system which started to make me
think it was there. I haven't installed it tho.

I did use the different output modules. Banshee was using Helix, I
changed to GStreamer, same thing.

Incidentally, Banshee doesn't play nice. It requires a Force Quit to
close it, even if I eject the disc from within that software.

Thanks for your help

Cheers