[SLUG] SUSE installation sound problems

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 10:42:29 BST 2006

> john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>> OK, well that suggests I should take out the soundblaster card and
>> install another distro. Barring Faff, the only thing stopping me
>> doing
>> that is Lucy rather likes SUSE so I'll press on for another day and
>> see how it works out.
> Suse is a good, solid distro... I would hazard that if you can't get
> it
> working in Suse you're probably going to have similar results in other
> distros.

Aye, it's this business of you and Martin having your motherboard
sound working out of the box, whereas mine didn't .. I had silence and
Yast reported no sound modules. So I'm just thinking something else
might just have the tweak I need.

Ultimately if we can't get it solved I'll escalate to a Usenet query
in alt.os.linux.suse and see if someone who knows Suse well has any
ideas. Maybe only if that fails I'll try Ubuntu or Mepis .. that's the
overall plan.

I'll get the latest SUSE updates while I'm pondering.

At least I'm getting to understand what all this
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound> is about.

Cheers