[SLUG] Related / unrelated to the sound problem

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 12:18:11 BST 2006

Hi ppl

Oh well, a step backwards.

I've been happily using the SUSE machine online and then it dropped
off the Internet and has stayed off.

I've changed the cable and the router port. YAST is reporting there's
an ethernet card and it's the ASROCK one on the motherboard,
everything's seated fine.

I'm using a Linksys WAG354G router. The ethernet cable connection
light's doing a weird thing which their online help and manuals and
their website doesn't seem to make clear. Light = connection, no light
= no connection, flashing light = active traffic, right? This
connection is lighting steadily and regularly every 1.5 seconds for
half a second (or so).

Maybe the router is trying to talk to the card.

It does that even when the machine is powered off .. so I'm thinking
it isn't a Linux issue. Has the network connection on the motherboard
just died?

Curiously, my usual machine shows a continuous light at the router
even when powered off, my windows test machine shows a light only when
powered up. No idea what that's all about.

Anyone any ideas?

Linksys started talking about rebooting the router which I did ..
well, I powered it down and up again. They also talked about updating
the software on the router. But it was working five minutes ago.

J having a great day, hope you are too.