[SLUG] OOps fstab

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 15 19:31:42 BST 2006

On Saturday 15 Apr 2006 19:15, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

> I thought loading Knoppix allowed you to make such changes but the
> /etc/fstab it shows you is the virtual, read-only one it concocts
> itself.

Using Knoppix will allow you to recover your fstab but looking at /etc/fstab
will not work because as you have discovered it relates to the Knoppix disk
you have just booted. What you need to do is mount the partition of your hard
drive that contains the fstab that you have "broken". For example:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/temp

and then edit the file:

/mnt/etc/fstab

because this will be the "broken" one. Please note that in the example I have
assumed your hard disk is ext3 and your "broken" fstab resides on your !sy
hard disk in partition 1. It also assumes that the directory /mnt/temp
exists. You may need to adjust these.

When done just reboot and things should work again.

Regards,
Paul.