[SLUG] The Linux way and paraphrasing

Des Wood g3hko at talktalk.net
Mon Apr 17 20:57:45 BST 2006

Thinking about  some of our postings I  noticed an exchange in a Linux group
and offer it as food for thought.

Make your posts read from top to bottom. The MS practice of
encouraging replies at the top of messages means massive amounts of
bandwidth are wasted.  The Linux way is to paraphrase what's come before
and then reply underneath. That way someone who hasn't followed the thread
can read a quick summary followed by the reply, which makes sense.

The MS way of replying at the top means no-one ever paraphrases, so an
email gets to carry the whole of the previous conversation and just
grows like topsy, hence the bandwidth.

Now where did I put that flackjacket?

Des
G3HKO