[SLUG] F-it, Badger time

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 21:20:25 BST 2006

> On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 10:36 -0400, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>
>> Unless anyone has an bright ideas I'm not asking for help at this
>> stage, I'm just going to try re-installing with fewer screen
>> resolutions.
>
>> But it doesn't make sense. IF (big if) I manage to edit
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf sufficiently that it recognises my screen, then
>> how
>> do I get back to the bit of the installation where I fell over? If I
>> run the installation through again I'll lose my settings. Anyone any
>> views on that?
>>

> I don't think you can to be honest. It's just giving you the default
> error message for a failed gdm start.
>
> Try installing in text only mode.. then install the drivers for your
> graphics card. I guess if it's an nforce chipset they will be
> available
> from nvidia's website.
>
>> Or is it a 64 bit thing, might I have more luck with 32 bit? I'm
>> thinking that might be so .. is it falling over just on the lack of
>> 64 bit driver?
>
> Could well be...
>
> Jam

To be honest, I'm not having much luck here.

I've tried Mepis, which fell over at least on the sound.

Mandriva and Linspire want money.

PC Linux OS which Linux Format bangs on about frequently is very much
aimed at the Windows user, using Windows logo colours and firing up
Wine.

I'm currently downloading Fedora but don't have much hope that that
will work.

I need to regroup and re-consider my options I think. Maybe I need to
push the Suse thing a little harder. Maybe a more up to date Suse
might work.