[SLUG] Cynicism

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 11:04:51 BST 2006

>> That's the one. I would step down the cynicism just one notch tho,
>> if
>> schools teach only Microsoft perhaps it's very important that we try
>> to get the message to young people. Not that I can be bothered, but,
>> you know :-)

> Hi
>
> I deny being a cynic.

Hi Bob

I aimed that at Steve as a matey jibe .. I didn't mean you :-)

> I am a sceptic.  I think the people running
> this
> event don't know what they are doing.  If I were a cynic I would say
> that they
> are in it for what they can get.

Interesting, I wouldn't have been able to define the difference. Hang on:

>From <http://dictionary.cambridge.org/>

cynic
noun [C] DISAPPROVING
a person who believes that people are only interested in themselves
and are not sincere:

sceptic, US skeptic
noun [C]
a person who doubts the truth or value of an idea or belief:

You learn something new every day :-)

> I agree that " if schools teach only Microsoft perhaps it's very
> important
> that we try to get the message to young people".  I don't see any
> point in
> contributing time and money to a forum that is unlikely to get the
> message
> across.

In truth, I've been getting to know one person involved in the
organisation of Digital Scarborough and he seems to be a very nice,
positive, likeable and energetic chap. As we've said before though,
the itinerary seems a) ambitious and b) to not really be our thing
(although a couple of people  outside SLUG have argued that I'm wrong
and we should be involved).

Anyway, it appears we're not doing much about getting involved.

Cheers