[SLUG] >1 OS at a time

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 12:52:09 GMT 2006

Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> John said:
> Xen
>
> David said:
> VMware
>
> Stephen says:
>
> David is right that vmware has become free (as in beer), you can download vmware server from here http://www.vmware.com/download/. I have used this commercially and seen it be be a reliable way to virtualize windows environments but I haven't seen it run Linux.
>
> Xen is GPL, but I cannot comment about the quality of its support for Windows - the last I knew it only supported Linux, but having read just now this is no longer the case depending on your hardware.
>
> Re. Media player which version of this do you require?

I think 7.1 will work, and, of course 9 or 10 would be good.

> Wine claims to have fairly good support for v9 (though ymmv installing it on Fedora).

Why's that then?  Is it specifically Debian orientated, or what?

Presumably you've tried the usual suspects of Xine and VLC to see if
they'll help you out?

Yes.  I'm not sure what Naxos looks for, but I think it's specifically
WMA (?) capability - although I wonder if they check for WMP and IE
specifically.  You can have WMP10 installed, but it will still only work
with IE.  It turns its nose up at Firefox, etc., as the browser.

> More info here:
>
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=131
>
> Steve O

Thanks, Steve, good stuff.