[SLUG] >1 OS at a time

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 13:14:39 GMT 2006

On Saturday 09 December 2006 22:06, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> commercially and seen it be be a reliable way to virtualize windows
> environments but I haven't seen it run Linux.

I am currently running a Vista VM and an XP VM using the "free" version of
VMWare under Kubuntu. An absolute gem of software! Easy to configure, simple
to install. The only limitation that I have found (and I'm sure that some
tinkering will solve it) is using things like memory sticks which apparently
involve disabling the relevant module in the kernel. At the moment, linux
takes over. Oh, that and VPNs which I'm having trouble with.

Anyone know a reliable and decent Terminal Services Client that I can log into
a Server 2k3 environment with 'cos all the ones I've tried so far have been
pants!

> Re. Media player which version of this do you require? Wine claims to have
> fairly good support for v9 (though ymmv installing it on Fedora).

You may find that older versions of Media Player won't support some of these
music websites.

I've largely got round most of my woes by using a VM of XP (with all the
latest patches, updates and what have you and the latest version of Media
Player) and saving everything to a shared FAT32 partition so I can listen to
all my music either under Windows or Linux. It works a treat.

Rob