[SLUG] Nee naa nee naa

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 08:10:36 GMT 2006

David Webster wrote:
> I've had a similar thing on my Fedora Core 5 box at Scarb. Uni.  I found
> that it was getting REALLY slow and 'top' told me that the beagle
> indexing service was maxing out the cpu.

top is your friend here.

Try running it in batch mode (-b startup flag) and output it to a file
so that when you come back to your machine you don't de-prioritise the
process that was hogging the CPU.

Common culprits are "updatedb" which updates the "locate" command's
cache and also, as Dave says, beagled.

If it's something else (e.g. X etc) then maybe you have a screensaver
running.

Beyond that post back what you find as usual.

Steve O