[SLUG] Nee naa nee naa

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 14:07:42 GMT 2006

> David Webster wrote:
>> I've had a similar thing on my Fedora Core 5 box at Scarb. Uni.  I
>> found
>> that it was getting REALLY slow and 'top' told me that the beagle
>> indexing service was maxing out the cpu.
>
> top is your friend here.

Yes, it's beagled:

#[7m  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+
COMMAND            #(B#[m#[39;49m#[K
#(B#[m 3320 John      15   0 97912  30m  11m S  100  1.5 265:41.38
beagled            #(B#[m#[39;49m

What's my corrective action?

Under System>Preferences>Search and Indexing under the Search tab
there are two things I could unclick: Start search and indexing
searches automatically, and Automatically start searching after the
user has stopped typing. Is that something to do with it?

I presume it does something useful (not sure what tho .. it indexes my
desktop, apparently), so if it's got work to do I don't want to stop
it doing that, just, can I throttle it a little? If so, how?