[SLUG] Nee naa nee naa

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 15:41:19 GMT 2006

>> What's my corrective action?
>
> Well beagle is indexing your entire pc whilst it is idle.
>
> If you don't use beagle then turn it off as it's creating indexes you
> will never use.

I had no idea what it was. Now I do, maybe I will.

> Otherwise let it run its course - how long since you installed?

About six weeks

>  - it
> could be that it hasn't finished indexing the system yet so you need
> to give it chance.

OK

> Once it's done the whole system then it should only need to read
> changed
> files because it (I think!) uses kernel level call backs when a file
> is modified.
>
> If it still keeps chugging on then maybe you could restrict the areas
> that it indexes - bearing in mind beagle's all about text indexing you
> could restrict it to /home.

Changing those settings I mentioned didn't kill it, maybe it would
need a reboot. I put it back on so it could carry on. The CPU says
it's on a go-slow so as not to die so maybe it won't. It hasn't yet.

There's beagle-info --status which gives:
Scheduler:
Count: 285460363

Pending Tasks:
1 Delayed 0 (12/14/2006 3:30:54 PM)
File Crawler

2 Maintenance 100 (12/14/2006 2:40:37 PM)
Final Flush for FileSystemIndex

3 Maintenance 0 (12/14/2006 2:40:37 PM)
Optimize FileSystemIndex

But that means nothing to me. What I really want to know is how long
it's going to continue to heat up my room.

I still want to limit the beagled process' access to the CPU to maybe
50%. I can see how to set a priority to a running process, but when
the system's idle, any priority will allow it to take over the CPU.
And as soon as I sit down and work the process goes away. So is it the
daemon itself that would take such a priority or the program it
spawns? And where would I set that? I think it's allpie in the sky
because I can't see anything about it so maybe you're right, just let
it run its course, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way in Linux
to throttle a process to stop it taking over.