[SLUG] Linux Permissions

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 19:14:37 GMT 2006

Paul Teasdale wrote:

>This is just a guess but is the Apache daemon running? If so it may be a case
>that the folder cannot be removed because Apache is locking the folder and
>not actually a permissions problem.

Good thinking... but sadly no go, I stopped httpd and it still won't delete.

Incidentally the folder in question was a backup of a folder so I'd have
hoped apache didn't have it locked.

Is my basic understanding of user-group-other correct?

User = permissions for the 'owner' of the resource.

Group = permissions for members of the group which owns the resource.

Other = anyone else.

Cheers,

Steve O