[SLUG] Linux Permissions

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 19:28:31 GMT 2006

On Sunday 26 Feb 2006 19:15, Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> Is my basic understanding of user-group-other correct?
>
> User = permissions for the 'owner' of the resource.
>
> Group = permissions for members of the group which owns the resource.
>
> Other = anyone else.

That is my understanding too so at least I would say we both "think" the same.
Are we correct is another question :) Have you tried making it world
accessible perhaps and then removing it?

eg: drwxrwxrwx  2 apache apache

What about using sudo to remove it?

eg: sudo rm <awkward_file_name>

Or even temporarily becoming root and removing it.

I do think you should not have to do this but if root cannot remove it for
whatever reason it may be worth doing some kind of file system check.

I know your not stupid but have you tried doing:

$ id

and ensuring that your username is indeed part of the Apache group. You may
need to log out and back in to make the change current perhaps?

Finally the username you have added to the group is the user that you're
logged in as?

/me ducks

It is good to get the obvious things out of the way however.

Regards,

Paul.