[SLUG] Linux Permissions

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 09:14:08 GMT 2006

Paul Teasdale wrote:
> It's a long shot but did you run a file system check? I don't however think
> this is the problem because you managed to delete the directory as root
> didn't you?

I haven't run fs check as given that root has no problems I think it's
user error.
> One other thought. Occasionally I cannot umount my USB flash drive. For some
> reason the File Alteration Monitor daemon (famd) fails to release its "grasp"
> and prevents umount form working.
>
> Also you might like to try:
>
> $ sudo lsof

I'll give that a try - thanks again for that.

My /home is a separate mount point to /. Given that I have no problems
in /home/steve but I *do* have problems in /var/www/html I shall give it
a whirl in something like /tmp then inspect my fstab - perhaps I'm not
mounting it correctly.

Come to think of it I do have LVM on / so that could be relevant...
*and* I have been trying to access (unsuccessfully) / from windows but
couldn't because of LVM. So maybe fsck would be relevant. Maybe the
filesystem has somehow been 'disconnected' from the o/s groups.

Sorry for vagueness in my attempts to guess the problem - I don't
understand how the permissions at the filesystem level marry up to what
I see as users/groups in the kernel/os.

Anyway, I'll play more tonight!

Steve O