[SLUG] Tonight's meeting

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 10:16:54 GMT 2006

Hi ppl

Happy new year y'all :-)

Don't forget, there's a SLUG meeting tonight, upstairs at the Valley
Bar, 7:30 start.

The subject of the evening is a preview of forthcoming technologies
for 2006, including:

SeaMonkey, the all-in-one internet app from Mozilla
Sunbird, a Mozilla calendar app
KDE 3.5
Gnome 2.14
X.org 7.0
MySQL 5.0.15
Samba 4.0
Autopackage
Skippy, a window switcher that allows you to ditch the taskbar

In practice, however, partly due to my inadequate forewarnings, I
think the only thing that might happen is Bob bringing along a machine
with KDE 3.5 on it. I'll find that interesting at any rate, because I
haven't seen KDE since about 2000. If anyone wants to bring anything
else along that would be fine and dandy

There's that chap from Cambridge who was going to talk about Perl
scripting, no idea whether that's happening or not.

And then there's that other chap who is trying to install 64 bit Linux
.. mind you, he ended up with Windows didn't he? Still, it would be
nice to put a face to the name (and in my case to remember the name)

Oh well. That sounds vague enough to handle all eventualities, and if
we throw in a bit of beekeeping, baking and beer drinking we'll have a
great time :-) I'll see Steve/Dave outside the Grand at 7:20 as usual
if you're up for it.

C you all then,

Cheers