[SLUG] Ruby and Inkscape demos

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 15:25:46 BST 2006

Many thanks, David Webster and Bob Garrood, for the demonstrations at
the meet on Monday.  I have much enjoyed looking into Ruby, and, of all
the languages, Bash and Ruby look of most interest/use to me.

Annotation of two other matters raised:
Making a new line at the end of /etc/modprobe.conf (Fedora at least,
perhaps other distros, too) saying:
alias  net-pf-10 off
should speed up internet access (avoids an IPv6 search, I believe);

and:

changing the line in /boot/grub/grub.conf (Fedora, etc., again):
default=n  (where n is a number from 0 upwards)
changes which OS boots automatically on a dual boot system.
It is to be remembered that, if there are two OSs on the PC, then the
first is 0, the second will be 1 - on a system with 3 OSs, it will go 0,
1, 2, and so on).

In Ubuntu, this file was called menu.somethingorother.  David Webster
may care to remind us of its path.

Martin