[SLUG] Digital Scarborough

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Jul 10 10:50:47 BST 2006

> Hi
>
> At the last meeting Digital Scarborough came up.  If we want to
> organise for
> this, then I suggest we start by settling the theme, and then some
> general
> ground rules for organisation.  Here is an idea.
>
> Theme. Last year it was 'Freedom'.  How about 'Alternatives' this
> time,
> perhaps organised as, say, 3 examples,  "Alternatives to Office",
> "Alternative Browsers" are possibles.  I am sure there will be other
> suggestions ("Alternatives to crashes and viruses").  Each alternative
> would
> each need an A4 poster listing possibilities.  "Alternatives to
> Office" might
> be OpenOffice, Koffice, Abiword, Gnumeric and even editors like Gedit
> and
> Kate, and these could be available for inspection on the 3 machines we
> set
> up.

Sounds good. Not sure about 3 machines though, but yes.

> Ground rules.
> Rather than give out handouts, we could try to point people at helpful
> websites.  Only people with the initiative to look things will want to
> install linux anyway.

Well, we could just create a single page on our website that supports
what we're trying to do, with all the links on that. So, one URL to
give out.

Steve, the website came up in the last meeting, you were working on a
CMS for it, did that fall off the timetable or are you still working
on it or wot?