[SLUG] Re: Scarborough Digest, Vol 142, Issue 2

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 11 16:05:28 BST 2006

David Webster wrote

> This is rather tricky ground. In the past the Linux community as a whole
> has compared Linux to Windows, with a bit of Windows bashing. As we have
> discussed in our group, Linux is not a free version of Windows. There
> are a number of things that Linux doesn't do that Windows does.
> OpenOffice does not feature a lot of features that Word 2003 does, for
> example. What I'm getting at here, is that perhaps Linux shouldn't be
> pushed onto home/family users. Instead, what we could look at is:
>
> "How can Linux benefit a power user or a business?"
>
> Just my thoughts.

I agree with this in general, but all I had in mind were the people who might
be at the event -teenagers and people running small businesses.  Some will
have heard about Linux and want more information.  I think a proportion of
these might be put off by the idea of a power user.  I'm for short headings.
I agree that, say, "Alternatives for business" is better and less aggressive
than "Alternatives to Office" .

Bob